Thursday, August 8, 2013

Making heaven with the cousins...Strawberry Freezer Jam


 
You know it is getting closer to back-to-school when signs of this upcoming event start to pop up everywhere!

Julie and I were going to take the kids to the local Six Flags (Elitchs), but the weather was gloomy, so we quickly changed plans, donned aprons, and made freezer jam with all the girls!

Side note: My camera battery has been giving me trouble, so we had to start this little project via the I-Phone!
First the girls washed and trimmed the tops off the strawberries!

Julie got started on the first batch and tracked down her favorite recipe!

I'm going to quickly throw that in here, so we have it always!

Next, we loaded the strawberries up in the Ninja, and pulsed them just enough to have tiny bits of fruit, not pureed fruit.


Perfect blend!

Then we measured exactly 4 cups of strawberries, 3 cups of sugar, and one handy PINK box of SURE JELL.

Put those in a pot on the stove, stirred occasionally until a rolling boil, and then continuously stirred for ONE minute exactly with a constant boil.

Then we poured them directly into these nifty Ziploc containers!

Then...REPEAT...over and over until you get a counter full of jam, and very happy girls!
Kenna and Ellie made a batch from start to finish!

LOVE seeing them together!




After the hoopla of all the big girls helping out and doing batch after batch, Tymber decided to help out with the last batch of the day.

***Disclaimer! I would NEVER normally allow pictures of me like this.  Frizzy hair, double chin and all, but I NEVER want to forget what this day felt like cooking that batch of jam with Tymber!
She was TOTALLY into it!
She may only have just turned two weeks ago, but you would never know it.

She measured the sugar, poured it in, and stirred away.





I love that messy face...and I LOVE being a mom!
Leveling off the measuring cup...so CUTE!
An VOILA...the fruit of our labors...literally!
And just like the Little Red Hen, Easton showed up as the homemade bread was baking and photo bombed our Instagram moment!

Such a great day!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I LOVE everything about this post! I love seeing you and Julie with your kids. Makes me so happy.

I have not had luck with freezer jam in recent years. I think I need to try it again 'cause this looks so good.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Does Julie blog?