Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Privilege to work

President David O. McKay said, “Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that the power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success”

I am so grateful for the opportunity to work. To work in our homes to create a haven for our families. The chance to teach our children how to feel success by doing a job well.

Do you remember when you were little and your parents introduced you to chores? Let's just say, it was probably not as exciting as learning to ride a bike, but do you remember?

I look back and recall a mother who loved us enough to teach us how to work. We were also blessed with one of those dads who didn't think Saturday morning was made for cartoon watching (like we did), but instead introduced us to those things that needed to be cared for by the family. I spent many a Saturday moving acres of grass and getting a nice sunburn for the church dance that night! I also remember being taught how to vacuum, dust and properly clean a bathroom. At the time, I'm sure I rolled my eyes like my little ones now do to me, but how I appreciate being taught the value of work.

For the past five months, John has been out of work. He has been diligently looking, but the executive positions that he is qualified for, take about six to nine months to secure.

He has been amazing! Upbeat and happy! Everyday heading down to our office to make contacts with everyone he could think of. Spending time in the temple praying for what is best for our family. Reading his scriptures to find answers to his questions.

We have had ward members fast in our behalf. We have had family be so amazingly generous that words cannot describe. We have had random acts of kindness almost everyday. What a wonderful experience for our family!

Well, John has secured a job, and will start on Monday. We are relieved, elated and grateful! He cannot wait to put his talents back to use. He is glowing at the opportunity to support his family. Who knew that working would feel so good?!!

Thank you for all of your prayers and love! May the work begin! It is a gift and a blessing!

9 comments:

Tamara said...

That's great news! What a great guy to be happy and upbeat during unemployment--that is such a hard thing for a man. Did you get my e-mail I sent you? I messed up the address the first time and then tried to resend it. Maybe it's lost out in cyberspace!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know he was out of work or I would have added my two cents upstairs!!! Congratulations to your whole family. It's it nice when people are positive through rough times. It makes the whole difference. Well, again, congrats.

Heidi said...

How wonderful, Laura! I'm so happy for you guys. John is an amazing man to be able to stay so happy and upbeat in such a difficult and frustrating time. How is that adorable little baby?? When would a good time to come visit be? I'd love to meet her before I leave!
Oh, P.S. Did my friend Danica ever get ahold of you about buying her baby girl a bracelet?

The Buckingham Family said...

That is great news Laura!
I know how stressful that can be.
YEAH, getting that job is such a relief!
~Natalie

Shalena said...

Yea that is so exciting! Coongrats on the new job!!

Familia Peña said...

Isn't the power of prayer amazing!!!! I haven't had to use it for unemployment, but I know there were a lot of people praying for my mom during her cancer treatments, and the knowledge that prayer and fasting reap such great blessings in our lives is a blessing in itself. Congrats to you all.

Love ya
Darci

kellie said...

I didn't know that he was out of work. You didn't even tell me. We just went through that again when BEA got bought out by Oracle. Of course, Gary was one of the few that got laid off. It is such a hard trial, but with a lot prayer and a sense that the Lord was watching over us and knew our needs, we did manage to make it through.

You guys are amazing and I am glad everything has worked out.

Miss Pete said...

I'm so happy for you guys! What a blessing!

michele said...

I am so sorry that John has been out of work. I hope this new job is working out. I know this is such a stressful time for so many people. We are knee deep in the issues facing our economy also. It can be very trying on your faith. I'm so happy to see that things are better for your family.