Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Quiet Nights

Sometimes, late at night, when the loves of my life are all tucked in and John has even fallen asleep ahead of me, I can't sleep.

Sometimes, it is because I am worried about something.

Sometimes, it is because I am worried about someone.

Sometimes, I can see everything that needs to get done.

And sometimes, it is just plain insomnia.

But tonight...I am sitting here thinking of everything I am grateful for.

This past Sunday, I was teaching the 16 year-olds, and I asked them how their prayers were going.

I told them that my prayers are much different this August than last August.

Last August, I cried myself to sleep.

Last August, I had little Annie growing inside me, with only time to tell me if she would look up at me at her birth or if she would go straight home like Gabrielle and Sam.

Last August, my sweet husband was up at 5am looking for a job and came to bed long after my pregnant body could stay awake.

Last August, I was constantly thinking of how to really help a sister who needed more than I thought I was capable of giving.

Last August, my heart-ached for my 8 year-old who still could not read.

Last August I just didn't know how to do it.

But last August, I remember my prayers.

I pleaded with the Lord for everything.

My loving husband, my pre-teen daughter, my son with his new priesthood, my whining daughter, my four-year-old, my struggling reader, the sister up the hill, the sister across the field, my parents, the siblings I love and their families, the baby inside, my kind presidency, and many others.

I spent TIME on my knees.

That time is what made me apply the Atonement in my life.

The Atonement isn't just for our mistakes, it is also for our pain, our weakness.

I will forever be grateful to a loving brother who bore it all for me...and my family...and my sisters...for us all.

On this quiet night, I remember last August, and I will forever be grateful for all those tender mercies and His love for me.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

That was beautiful, Laura. Thanks! I'm so glad that things turned out so wonderfully.

deeder6 said...

I love to read your blog! 2008 was a tough year here too, but I wouldn't change any of it. I am so grateful for the trials I had last year and even more so for the blessings during and after! Thanks for sharing friend! I was so sad to miss you too! I hope you had a good time. Hopefully I'll be back out there next summer and I'll see you then.

Familia Peña said...

It is times like those that we have to remember that we are given trials to grow, and that we won't be given any trials that we can't handle. I don't think a stronger family could have been chosen for last August.

Love ya
Darci

Kara said...

Beautifully written. You know one of the greatest compliments I can give you, very Julie-esk. You have always been a great example of spiritually living to me. So thank you again for your light and your spirit in my life.

Anonymous said...

Laura, you are truly amazing. Thank you so much for sharing that experience. Would you mind if I use it in my talk on Sunday. It would be anonymous of course. But I have to talk about the 3rd article of faith and this experience applies perfectly.

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have learned that some things our Heavenly Father wants me to learn can only be learned in the humblest of times. I love you!