Thursday, January 15, 2009

Quick Tip #1-Hats, gloves and scarves!!

There are some things in life that you need to ease your way into...

Such as...Family History, Kids scrapbooks K-12, and even exercise.

If you start any of these too fast and try to get the end results you are dreaming of...you are ultimately disappointed by early burnout!

We DO NOT want to experience this with our new Organization Club, so let's start with a 15-minute plan and a $5 solution!

Do you have a basket or a box on the floor of your coat closet where the hats, gloves and scarves reside?

Is it easy to find the perfect match in 10 seconds or less?

If not, this may be your answer.

It requires an extra aisle check at Walmart, about $5 and 15 minutes.

Let's go!

You purchase an over-the-door pocket holder, bring it home, open it, and stash pairs of gloves, hats and scarves inside its' convenient pockets.

You can go into more detail like, have each child's things in a certain row, youngest child at the bottom.

You can have two...One for hats and scarves...One for dozens of pairs of gloves and maybe some warm sledding socks.

If you are in a warm location and don't have the fun opportunity of needing winter wear...you can store baseball hats, batting gloves, baby shoes, and quick needed kitchen supplies. (Such as scissors, tape, rulers, pencil cases, boxes of crayons etc.)

THERE YOU HAVE IT...YOUR FIRST SUCCESS STORY TO SHARE WITH ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN.

I have to tell you, I promise you, that once you have tackled what you think is the insignificant problem of the, "Where are my gloves?" question...you will have a breath of confidence as you open that closet and view this solution.

Now just do it! Take the time...and enjoy that first feeling of success.

WHAT NEXT? Who has something, big or small, that we can tackle and share with the group? Walk around the house, look in a closet or under a bed, maybe even in the garage or car. FIND something for us to work on next!



7 comments:

Tamara said...

Nice! I'm going to have to try that!

The Buckingham Family said...

GREAT idea on what to put all these things in!
I just did that with my stuff, but mine are only in plastic bags that are now sorted like you suggested.
So, HEY, I am actually participating! : )
Now I just need to go to the store to get that cool organizer.
I think we should work on pants next...straighten them up so you can EVEN find the ones that get shoved away and or get rid of the ones that don't fit any more...for the whole family, not just the kids ; )
~Nat

Laura said...

Pants storage it is! I will work on that over the weekend and report on Monday! Here we go!

Miss Pete said...

You know our lovely warm weather (flipflops and 70's the past week). So our small "winter weather" draw beneath the dryer is working for us. But I'm passing this tip along to my sisters.

I actually bought one of these a few months ago and put it in my kids bathroom. Our tub of a bazillion ribbons were taking over the cupboard. So our ribbons are now sorted by color. I used the upper rows to sort out the pony tail holder by white, pastels, and rainbow colors.

Carrie said...

That's a great idea. I'm on it! I'm off to Walmart armed with my $5. Thanks!

Laura said...

Debbie, I LOVE the ribbon idea. Mine are in one of those drawer towers sorted by color. Maybe I will switch over. With four girls, there are quite a bit, but it may be even more functional! THIS is why I love this project! If you have a minute, will you take a picture and send it to my email? lcsugarspice@comcast.net Have a great Sabbath!

Kelsey said...

Great Idea! Not just the closet organizer, but the organization blog. I am definitely game for it! Yeah, and I don't even have to worry if my boys are trashing someone else's home while I participate! :) You are wonderful! And of course have amazing ideas!!