Sunday, February 23, 2014

ALEX gets baptized!


Alex is amazing!

Last Saturday, she chose to be baptized.

This was not an overnight decision for her.

In the above picture, she and one of her childhood friends, Stephanie, have been friends since they were little. I think Stephanie said they have been friends since they were two and three.

So sweet!

There have been many years of friendship on this journey.

You see, Stephanie was a member of the church.  She was a valiant member of the church.

Both families were neighbors and friends for years.

As the years went by, Stephanie invited Alex to come to activities with her.  They went to Girls' Camp and Youth Conference together.

Alex said that even when she was young, she knew what she was hearing was the right thing.

I met Alex at one of these Youth Conferences.  I remember thinking, "This is a great girl. She is amazing!  She is good and kind and absolutely wonderful."

As I spent those few days with her, I saw her as she participated in all the fun activities like sand castle building at the base of Colorado Sand Dunes, build a boat out of cardboard and race across a small lake, and many other fun things with the youth of our ward.

She seemed to be having a blast!

She was surrounded by people who already knew her from school and friendship, and she just fit right in.

But the most incredible thing that I witnessed, those brief three days, was how open she was to the Spirit.

I watched her as she listened to different devotionals that were being shared.

I watched her as she participated in folding her arms and bowing her head during prayers.

And I watched her as she listened to the sweet testimonies that were shared on our final night, and as I watched, I saw her be taught again.

It was something that came easily for her, because her heart was open.

It was open to befriend everyone around her, even those she had never met.

It was open to get out there and try something new.

And it was open to let an "old" leader like me, become a lifelong friend.

On the last day, as everyone was hustling around to pack up, make their sack lunch for the ride home, and do the last of the cleanup, she came to me.

I had been taking pictures for days, but this day, she asked if we could take a picture.

It was sweet.

It was real.

And I love that in that moment, I realized we had bonded...forever.

Alex, I could not be more happy for you.

I know that it has been a long, hard road lately, and it may even be hard for a bit more, but everything will eventually make sense.

And if this trial, is the one that made you open your heart even more, and accept Christ completely, then you will look back someday and feel like it was the greatest blessing you have ever received.

You have family and friends that love you.

You have a Heavenly Father and Savior, who love you even more.

May you enjoy everything that awaits you in this amazing journey back home.

I love you!



This baptism was incredible!

From the beautiful music played on the piano by Nicole, to the hymns that were chosen, to the talks, that frankly, brought tears to everyone's eyes that were in attendance.

The Spirit was so strong that it was tangible.

The thing that I will always remember about this day, was the peace that was on Alex's face after she left the waters of baptism.

She was calm, reverent, and happy.

It was something that was proof to me, of the love of our Savior.

I will never forget it.

You see, when we accept Christ as our Savior, and we chose to be baptized just like he was, we make covenants that don't restrict us, they protect us and give us the opportunity to become more like our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

You could see that the choice she made was forever.

It was beautiful!







No comments: