Thursday, July 9, 2009

Dominican Republic it is!!!

Tonight we gathered...not for a birthday or a bbq...but for our brother...Bernard Joseph Dieker to open his mission call.

I know that this will date me, but Bernie was born the week before I left for my freshman year at BYU.

I know...19 years...where did the time go?

Well, let me tell you it was plenty of time for this tiny little brother of mine to grow into a young man who is worthy and ready to serve a mission.

Today I called the house to see if the "white envelope" had come.

Bernie answered. "I got it today." He said. He proceeded, "I went to get the mail today and I saw a bunch of mail and one white envelope. I took each piece of mail out one by one and pulled the white envelope out last."

Then he goes on with the tone of a perfect story teller. "I looked at who the white envelope was addressed to and it read, 'Elder Bernard Joseph Dieker'"

That is all it took. I began to cry. The image of this brother of mine, serving the Lord, and being old enough to do so, was all it took.

When we pulled up to my sister, Julie's home, the cars lined the driveway and the street. We were all there for one thing.

Where did the Lord choose to send our Bernie?

Dominican Republic Santo Domingo East Mission

Well they are blessed to have him and we are blessed to know him! Bernie asked for a "BIG" knife for the full opening effect!

Bernie read the entire letter...line by line. So Bernie!
Bernie going over the details with dad, who is currently working in Russia.


There it is. Completely official. Signed by our beloved, Thomas S. Monson.


His official map of where he is going. All 40 miles across!
Bernie and mom! Mom didn't even know that she would be wearing "traditional" patterns of the region!
Bernie and Ben! Just 13 months apart and sharing in the moment. Repeat next year!


Bernie and Eddie with his usual challenge of a "serious" photo! Love those boys!

A.J. letting Madie know. Next in line is Ben with A.J. just FOUR years later! Amazing!

The "golden girl" Quinn herself!

Annie hanging out in Uncle Kevins's arms wondering what everyone is so excited about!
The group is gathered! Drumroll please!
Bernie and the Romano family. They played six year old football together and have shared special moment in time!
Bernie and Julie with the perfect smiles!


Photographer Reese grabbed this one for Bernie and I.
Bernie, we couldn't be prouder of you.
You did the work, stayed worthy and now will experience the joy of our Father in Heaven as you share the "good news" to the people of the Dominican Republic.

3 comments:

deeder6 said...

That's so exciting. Just two weeks ago an young man from my ward returned from that mission! He loved it! Abby and I are headed out to CO 8/1-8/6 and I would really love to see you and meet Annie. Will you be around? Call me 512-426-3753
Diane

Laura said...

I will be in Steamboat that week. What time do you get in? I would love to see you even for a short time! I will call this weekend!
Love, Laura

Familia Peña said...

Isn't that crazy!!!! Tell Bernie congrats for me. I was just thinking the other day how crazy it is that my son is only 3 years away from serving his mission!

Love ya
Darci