Monday, November 17, 2008

Our second Sacrament meeting




These photos may not mean anything to anyone reading this other than our children. Ever since Annie came to bless our home, we have had a lot of great help, but there has been one little glitch.
Sacrament meeting.

Every Sunday starts out the same. Everyone gets ready in their Sunday best (which means the easiest thing to iron.), they search for where they put their scriptures last, find a quick bite to eat, and load up in the car waiting to take them to church.

Everything goes very smoothly until...we enter the pew. EVERYONE wants to sit by the baby. EVERYONE wants to be the person who holds her when she stirs. EVERYONE wants to ask, "Am I next?" And on and on....

This is embarrassing. We added a child to our pew who can't even crawl and makes very little noise without prompting, and I feel like I did when I had four little ones aged five and under.

Well, today, dad had had it!

When we got home, John informed them that they would be spending an hour in these seats because of their behavior in sacrament meeting.

I don't think that the kids believed us, because they continued with their nonsense. Everytime they spoke or complained, the time started over. It was a long hour and 57 minutes, but eventually they caught the vision!

Next week Annie gets to sit between dad and I, and no one else gets to touch her.

We'll let you know if the lesson of, "the second Sacrament meeting" worked for us.

7 comments:

Familia Peña said...

It is kind of like a double-edged sword. You want your kids to like each other, play with each other, want to be around each other, but at the same time, sometimes you just want them to leave each other alone!!!!! Good luck on the lesson.

Love ya
Darci

The Buckingham Family said...

Make a "Annie" church chart...lol.
Maybe if they have to "earn" their right to hold her...that will get a lot of things done for you : )
Good luck.
~Nat

Tamara said...

Wow---that took some persistence on your part, hopefully it will pay off next week. Maybe they can take weekly turns to be the baby helper on Sunday.

Adrienne said...

Hmmm, that story brings back fond memories for me about the time the Alletto's were asked by Bishop Wilkinson to give a special lesson about keeping our kids reverent in church and as if on cue Reece runs to the front of the chapel, across in front of the podium, and out the other side at which point I grab him and head out the door. Brother Alletto comments, "I hope I didn't offend her" to which Chris Carpenter responds "I heard her say she is leaving the church and never coming back" Gotta love it-- such is my life!

Laura said...

I think I am going to take the advice of Nat and Tamara and have them "earn" the reward of helping with Annie and taking turns. I can see spotless closets in my future!

Adrienne, I remember that like it was yesterday! It still makes me laugh out loud! Our children certainly keep us humble!

Miss Pete said...

We have our moments too. Especially when our sacrament meeting is the last one. A couple months ago on a Sunday like that, I looked at Meg and Josh and told them to pack everything up and we left. When we got home I made them sit on the chairs reverently without talking for the amount of time that we missed church and listen to church music. I've got to admit it was kind of nice. I dread the days I have to control the chaos on my own.

m. hanson photography said...

What a great idea...I just might use that one day! I love your blog and all the pics of your cute family. Your little Annie is the sweetest! We miss you all!

Michelle