Monday, August 31, 2009

I Love to see the Temple

I love to see the temple, we went inside today!

When I heard that there was going to be a temple open house for the Oquirrah Mountain Temple, I knew we had to go.

We had a 3-day window between baseball tournaments, church responsibilities and Ellie's first day of kindergarten, so we packed the car and headed West.

The temple was beautiful!

It stood on a hill for all to see.

It truly beckons to those below to look up.

I can't even fully explain how I felt when I saw that temple and knew I would have the opportunity to bring my children inside.

We entered in the parking lot and were greeted by a smiling volunteer showing us where to park.

There were white tents set up outside for visitors to view a brief movie about the temple and the area.

After the short film, we started the tour.

The minute we walked through the doors I was keenly aware how sereal this experience was going to be.

Hand in hand, with little Annie on my back, we looked in awe at the beauty of the lighting, the woodwork, the art.

I think that the kids first thought was of the beauty inside.

I watched as they just quietly took it all in.

Easton looked this way and that, A.J. looked around to look for any similarities to our own, Denver Temple, and the girls were wide-eyed with discovery.

A.J. stayed close to me the entire time and had something to say, ask or quietly discuss in each room. I LOVED the teaching moments. The ones that linger long after the talking has ceased.

I remember how I felt as I entered that Celestial Room on that day.

I wished John was there, and then was quickly grateful for his willingness to provide for our family.

I had one of those moments like, "this is your chance to teach your children. Don't miss it!"

I didn't.

Every chance a door opened for conversation and teaching, I taught.

Every time I could feel the Spirit prompting me to share, I did.

I am so grateful to be their mother.

Each one had a favorite spot for completely different reasons.

A.J. said that he missed the feeling that he felt in our temple, but he loved the view of the oxen at the base of the baptismal font. I reminded him that our temple had been dedicated and those who entered there were worthy to be there.

Madie loved the Sealing Room and the mirrors. I reminded her of the promise that those mirrors symbolize. FOREVER! Forever as a family. Forever as husband and wife!

Easton enjoyed the murals, and I shared with him the story they told. Our beginnings...where we all began this journey on earth.

Brooke was cute. She loved the Bride's Room. When I inquired of her and why, she said, "Because it was so organized and beautiful. Drawers for whatever they needed and more." Love that girl!

Ellie loved everything.

Beautiful temple.

Beautiful family memory!


Love this picture. Brooke first, followed by Ellie.

Love you Brooke!



Love this view!


Everyone took a picture of their view of the temple.
A.J.'s view

Easton's view


Girl's view

Beautiful day!

2 comments:

deeder6 said...

You are all so adorable! It is amazing taking your kids to the temple! We got to do that in San Antonio 2 yrs ago and our kids still talk about it!

Christine said...

What a beautiful family and beautiful experience! Takes me back to the Sacramento open house...