Monday, October 19, 2009

Hidden talents

Do you have any “hidden” talents?

Yesterday, my mom left a message on my cell phone and it went something like this, “Laura, thank you so much for doing this (deep cleaning the house before company comes for my brother, Bernie’s farewell this weekend.)  Thank you for sharing this “talent”!  I love you!”

Talent.

I had never thought of it like that.

Friday, I had spent the day deep cleaning my sister, Julie’s, home for a very belated Christmas gift.  It is October, I know!

As  I cleaned one beautiful room after the next, I thought to myself, look at how talented she is.

She can literally turn an ordinary guest room into the most beautiful office I have ever seen, and still have it set up to be the most warm and inviting room for a guest to rest their weary head.

She takes care of every detail.

The curtains are made from her own hand.

The frames on the wall, a collage of ideas and dreams.

The bathroom contains beautiful fabrics that are in the same color pallet as the rest of the room.  It would make any designer proud.

The desk is completely organized and functional.

The bedrooms across the hall…just as beautiful.

Decked to the hill with whimsical princess colors, perfectly matched outfits hanging in the closets, and bulletin boards showcasing her darling girls artwork and achievements.

I could go on and on…

She is amazing!

My other sister, Melissa, lends her talents to hand-made quilts given to each of my children at their baptisms.  It is one of the most anticipated gifts at this special occasion.

She, too, blessed with so many beautiful talents.

A beautiful voice that seems to carry the rest of us when singing in an ensemble.

Then I thought about my talents.

I wasn’t really jealous, just a little sad that I don’t possess these obvious, beautiful talents.

An office, perfectly decorated and a song perfectly performed, are remembered far longer than a clean bathroom.

Beautiful curtains and quilts provide warmth to a home much more than a dusted bookcase.

Right?

Then I thought back to my mom’s comment, “Thanks for sharing this talent.”

It is a talent.

And it hopefully, does brighten a long day and a busy week.

A clean home that you can relax and be with your loved ones in, is a blessing.

I began to think of all the other, “hidden” talents.

I thought of those of you that are amazing listeners.  The only ones who know how wonderful your talent is, are the ones who you quietly listen to and don’t judge.  The ones whose tears wet your shoulders.

I thought of those of you who get up every morning and are incredible moms.  You may not have the perfect body left over, from bearing those beautiful children, but you love them and they know it!

I thought of all the secretaries who quietly do exactly what they are asked to do.  No glory, no name printed title, just an essential piece of a very blessed presidency.

I am sitting here thanking my Heavenly Father for blessing me with this thing that I am good at, and for allowing me the health to share it with those around me.

I will never be able to express how I feel, being in someone’s home, helping them organize and clean, and them trusting in this hidden talent of mine.

To all of you who have allowed me to culture this talent, I will always love you.

And maybe someday, I will make one of those beautiful quilts, and have one of those beautifully put together homes, but for now, I will share what I have.

And I hope all of you will too…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, thank you so much for this post. In my patriarchal blessing it talks about finding my talents and using them to build up His kingdom. I, like you, don't have the obvious, at least in my eyes. One time I told my mom this. I woke up and found on my car windshield a note. It was a list of one hundred "Cali" talents written by my mom. Precious.
BTW, you have the talent of writing in a very poetic manner. You're posts aren't just filled with inspiration, love, passions, gospel sharings, etc. They are poetically written and very fun to read. Plus, your capacity to love and be a FABULOUS wife and mother is a talent to ANYONE would be lucky enough to have.
Enjoy your day and your MANY hidden talents.

deeder6 said...

Laura,
I know you didn't write this fishing for compliments. That being said I have to tell you that I often think of you as one of the most talented people I know!!! Your gift for organization is incredible. I have always admired that! You are an incredible friend. And yes that is a talent. I love our friendship. I know that time and distance separates us but I also know that it doesn't matter. I know I can always count on you and I am so grateful for that. You have the gift of a strong testimony and the talent to share it. Laura you are simply amazing and I feel honored to count you as my friend!