Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Confessional

First of all, I just need to mention these two girls. This week Ellie decided that "things" in her hair for school were no longer necessary. I only discovered this because I did a little backpack clean out and found the flowers and ribbons that she has left with the past two weeks, but somehow never came home in. I just assumed that they had just randomly fallen out on the bus on the way home. Oh, what a naive mommy! So, in a "loving" way we talked about how we feel so much better when we are put together for the day. (This coming from a mother that showered after 3 today and didn't put myself together until 5!) Then I showed her beautiful pictures like this series I took of her one morning. I had her notice her smile. We will see if the mini-"bow"-therapy class worked. I will be checking her backpack on Monday afternoon. I figure it was worth a try.

Then we have Brooke. The complete opposite problem with this cutie. I will start at the beginning to set up her little scenario. I got in the car to run to exercise class and decided that I needed a little mascara to not look completely scary for class. I know, not necessary, but at 16 weeks pregnant, a little care goes a long way in the mental department. However, much to my dismay, my mascara was missing. I just assumed that Madie had robbed me, and thought I would talk to her about that later. So, at 5 pm, when I was finally putting myself together, I mentioned it to Madie only to find out it was BROOKE who had it in her backpack. This, of course, led to a conversation that you look beautiful just the way you are. Points were brought up like, we don't wear makeup until 12, you are absolutely gorgeous, your eyes are enchanting with absolutely no extra help and such. I think she is convinced, however, I will be checking her backpack on Monday too!


Ok...now to my confession! I have posted two things concerning organizing and cleaning in the last week or so. Some of you mentioned that I must be incredible to accomplish all of that. I assure you I AM NOT! These two list were like our children's Christmas lists. They list every possible dream that they have for the arrival of their Christmas magic on Christmas morning, but in reality, the list is almost never completely found under that tree.

I have been feeling a little slow. Fortunately, not in a mental sense, but in a motivation after I get kids off to school sense. I just want to sit on the couch with Annie and watch Marley and Me over and over. It is terrible. I wish I could blame it on the weather or my pregnancy, but I think it is probably just a little bit of everything, including just plain laziness and maybe a little dose of the "blues."

I have found that there are only two things that really get me out of this feeling. The first is making a list. If I make a list, I can actually see on a piece of paper, what I have done, what needs to be done and feel like I am making steps forward.

The second is service. Helping others when you are down, weak and lost is the BEST way to feel better. I know that this makes absolutely no sense, but I promise you that I have seen the miracles that happen when people who are struggling look outside of themselves and help someone else. People have often said, "How can I go help someone clean their house if mine is in shambles?" My answer is, "Honestly, I don't know, but I promise it will." I love this principle. It has saved my heart and my mind on so many occasions.

So, I know that Main Floor List looked ambitious, but it was worth making. I only have about 2/3 done, but I have a plan. And the DAILY FOUR truly help me everyday!

I love trying. The success is in the enduring, not the finished product.

3 comments:

deeder6 said...

Thanks Laura! I love you too! I am so glad you are blogging again!

Adrienne said...

Sometimes when I make a list I put stuff on there I've already done just so I can check them off then it makes me feel better. Hope your not feeling the blues too much. I think you need a dose of Adrienne. I'll call you this next week and we'll chat. I think we are due. Love you.

Sarah said...

My favorite motivation for cleaning is to invite someone over. I go into overdrive and clean everything- even the stuff they will NEVER see (i.e. my closet) So if we invite you over it's because we love you AND because I need a reason to clean!