Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18th "TO DO" List
















How can these six little faces create such havoc on my home? (ok, our home)

Seriously, I have never felt so behind, so underwater, or so disorganized in all my life.

It isn't that almost everything doesn't have a place, because most things do. It is just that all those things just aren't in the right places.

No lie, piles and piles have taken over my home.

Yesterday, my best friend came over. Fortunately, she is not a judgemental person, because seriously the house was scary. Downright scary! She almost had Valentine candy (that was trying to stay hidden) almost hit her in the face when she put away the paper cups. Or that she found licorice in the drawer for pot holders. We were out of dish detergent so the dishes filled the dishwasher, the sink and some of the counters. The ice maker wasn't even working to give her a glass of water with lunch, because it needs a new filter!!


Instead of spending the extra time on the holiday break cleaning out closets and bringing in new clothes and going through the old. Instead of taking a day, to clean and organize all the kitchen cabinets (which we skipped doing during Fall break, because we were having too much fun,) and putting away all decorations, we just played.

I know that most of us will look at that and say "Great!" Isn't that the more important thing to do? Of course, but to me, today, I am underwater.

So, I have done what I always do when I am done living in survival mode...I made a LIST!

I was going to take a picture and post it, but I haven't figured out the new computer and its' companionship with my blog, so I am just going to type it. If writing it was therapeutic, typing it again for everyone to see, should be even more motivating.

So today is MAIN FLOOR day! I realize that this should be posted on my organization blog over at www.heapsorhappiness.blogspot.com, but one cannot preach what one is not currently practicing! So maybe here first...then over there with successful before and after photos.

If anyone wants to play along, here we go!

LAURA'S GUIDE TO MAIN FLOOR HAPPINESS:

Front Porch
sweep porch
spray down porch
wash door
hang valentine wreaths (so exciting, and very ambitious)
clean glass on lights
fix and hang flag

Front Entry
wash windows
dust chandelier (seriously, it would be perfect if it were October...now that I say that it was perfect for Halloween, but now it is January!)
shampoo rug
dust all items
set candles to timers
wipe down inside door panels

Front Closet
organize electronic bins
organize bags
hang all coats on wood hangers
wipe down all trim and door
detail vacuum

Dining Room
set table for display
iron tablecloth
decorate table with centerpiece
clean mirror
wipe down all trim
org corner homework table
org beverage bin

Living Room
organize cabinets
dust
vacuum under couch and table
wipe down and polish all woodwork

Piano Room ("Conservatory" to everyone in on the inside joke of 2009)
dust and polish all wood
org piano books and supplies
org all instruments
all extra items out of room
all glasswork
straighten all curtains
vacuum vents

Family Room
org all videos
org all DVDs
dust all wood
vacuum couch
vacuum under all furniture
wipe down all trim, tables, and windowsills
all glasswork
org all games
org end tables
wipe down couch

Picture Shelves
dust shelves
straighten albums
add new albums

Craft Closet
empty
wipe down all shelves
vacuum floor and trim
org all learning books
org all bins
silver out
dog food put in new bins with lids
label all bins and containers
org door unit

Kids' Coat Closet
org all scriptures
org all gloves, hats and scarves
org all bags
vacuum floor and trim'
wipe down shelves and trim
all coats on matching hangers

Downstairs Bathroom
org under sink
stock all supplies
scrub tile, doors and trim
paint back of door
all glasswork
wipe down small table
org all magazines

Laundry Room
clear and wipe down all shelves
org all baskets
label baskets
clear and wipe down folding counter
check and org all cabinets
put extra tools in garage
clean under sink
vacuum floor and trim
wipe down all woodwork
put away all laundry
org craft drawers
pair all socks and put away
wipe down washer and dryer
hang extra chore chart

Office
org all paperwork (to file, to do, bills, memory, shred, etc)
dust and polish all wood
set up bookcases by subject (church, school, reading, etc)
wipe down trim and door
vacuum and edge entire room
org all CDs
org all filing cabinets

Kitchen
TOMORROW!!!

Ok, there it is! Big plans for what looks like a very LONG, but exciting day. I am going to try and prove to myself that I can have fun on breaks, and recover with dignity.

Return and report tomorrow.

What are you doing today? Inspire us!

~Laura

4 comments:

Knutson Family said...

Is that an ultrasound picture?! Oh, Laura, that's awesome! And your motivation to clean and organize is inspiring for sure! Way to go, girl!

Laura said...

It sure is! We have another little one joining us in July! I can't wait, but I better get a better handle on this house! Back to work! I loved reading about your moving adventures in Jordyn's recap! I miss the girls so much! Tell them "hello" from me! Have a great week! ~Laura

Kara said...

Right now I am trying to get GracieLou to fall asleep on her own and take more than a twenty minute nap. I am very underwater right now. I should make a list. maybe that would help. If I write down Grace take a nap do you think she will obey?

deeder6 said...

Laura,
I hate to admit it but your list actually scares me!!! It's too overwhelming! Don't get me wrong I know you can do it. I also know that although I am pretty much in the same boat, and not pregnant on top of it, that there is so much that would have to go on a list that I can't even begin to make it! Sad huh?! Wish I were near you and we could help each other! I'm great at folding laundry and putting it away (the one thing I don't feel behind on is laundry!) so I could definitely help you there! And you could help me organize! (Again) Love you!- Diane