Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Notes


Happy Valentines' Day!!

I love this holiday just for the simple reason that we get to be cheesy with our teenagers' lunches, see our kids in their classrooms decorated in red and pink, and tell our sweethearts over and over how much we love them.

The showing and telling of love should happen everyday, but v-day just makes it perfect!

The thing that I love is the "love notes."

John and I are simple.

We usually don't dress up and spend money on a fancy dinner and flowers.

We usually go somewhere simple, maybe even days before and have dinner, just the two of us. Then we have heart-shaped pizza with the kiddos.

This year we had pizza at our friends' home and celebrated the day with a FHE consisting of a fondue party.

Very fun, and a little messy with 11 kids.

But the little thing that I love the most, that happen sometimes even on other days, are the little love notes we share with each other.


They may say something very small like, "Thanks for hanging in there with me." Or, "Thanks for being my love for this life AND the next."

But sometimes they are really the deep things that we feel that just need to be written down for that love.

Not too long ago, we switch out some dressers in our room. As I methodically moved one old drawer's contents to the new drawer, I came across one of these love notes.

I had written it to John a few years ago. I sat down on the floor and began to read it. Most of the things I had included, I had since forgotten. Like the day to day craziness we were living at the time, or the sweet little thing he had done for me that week. I sat there on that floor, surrounded by the mess of redoing a room, and wept.

I thought about our love and our life together. I thought about the trials we had endured, and the joys we had shared together.

So on this Valentines' Day, take a minute and write a quick love note to the ones you love, or leave them a novel.

Just do it!

~Laura


No comments: