Friday, January 1, 2010

Lead by Example

As I have been pondering the thought of setting New Year’s resolutions…

You know, the ones we formally and maybe, informally set.

Maybe you are one of those that makes an entire list, changing everything in your life, or you are the person who says to themselves, I am doing an ok job at everything, no need to set formal goals.

I believe that there is success to be had somewhere in the middle.

In past years, I have made lists of everything I would love to improve with each child.

I have made lists about every place in my home, and just how perfect I would like each of us to keep them.

I have made family goals with John.

We have met with each child to help them set their goals.

I have listed detailed goals for each of us in different areas.

Well, not this year!

In Alma it reads, “And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth…ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.”

I am simply going to lead by example.

I am going to set personal goals for myself, and try, to the best of my ability, to accomplish them.

We are still going to meet with each child to help them set their goals, but as they express the things that they want to improve, I am going to make an effort in my life to lead.

I want to be that instrument that he uses to help my children be everything they are supposed to be.

I am not naive in the sense that life is simply a matter of doing everything perfect, having your children follow perfectly and live happily ever after.

I am, however, very confident in the fact that if I wake each morning before everyone else, start my day with a prayer, and live my life in a way that I would love to see my children living their lives in twenty years, success will be in the making.

There are so many things that I learned as a child through example.

I remember walking into my parents’ room on hundreds, maybe even thousands of occasions and witnessing them kneeing in prayer.

I remember the way that my Young Women’s President treated me.  I have to admit, I also remember her amazing handouts, but mostly I remember how she supported me in who I was.  She believed in the leader that I was becoming, and she behaved in a way that led me to lead kindly.

I remember having dedicated coaches who were amazing examples of how hard work does pay off.

I remember surrounding myself with friends who made me better by following their examples.

I could go on and on, but basically, I want to be that person in my children’s lives that they can look back and learn from.

They can remember my love for the Savior, my desire to have the Spirit in our home, and my love for each of them.

I read somewhere once, “Our youth want more than landlords.  They want people who will love them and lead them.”

I love that.  Chores are necessary.  Rules are necessary.  But so is love and guidance.

As I sit on their beds each night, I pray that I will really listen to what they are saying and not saying, and that I will have the means to satisfy their needs.

I am off to make that new list for my daily schedule, a list for potential home improvements, but most of all, I am off to hopefully lead by example, the He would have me lead.

May each of you have an amazing 2010!

No comments: